The Indo-European languages are one of the largest language families in the world. The term does not actually describe a separate language but rather multiple languages that are connected to each other through the similarity of a many words. It is presumed that a really long time ago a parent language of all the Indo-European languages existed. This language is called Proto-Indo-European.
The people speaking that language then split up und formed individual tribes. These tribes are the subcategories of Indo-European.
- Italic (Romance)
The most spoken and most important linguistic groups nowadays are those colorized above. Due to wars, colonization and modernization, the European Countries have managed to influence almost every country, in a way or another, throughout history. As well as their religion, basic beliefs or scientific discoveries have, their languages have transformed the languages we speak, hear, read and write nowadays.
The most useful Indo-European languages at he moment are:
- English (Germanic language)
- English is the lingua franca of the 21st century. In total there are approximately 1500 Million people able to speak the language. It is also the language of technology such as most programming languages are based on English.
- Because of the huge empire Great Britain used to be, English is also spoken in North America, Australia and the Southern part of Africa as a first language.
- French (Romance language)
- France also had a huge empire during the period of imperialism. Because of that french has approximately 274 M. speakers. It also used to be the language spoken by aristocracy at the royal courtyard.
- Spanish (Romance language)
- Spanish is established in Mexico and Southern America and has about 559 M. speakers. It is the remnant of a great maritime nation.
Of course not only widely spoken and important languages are fun. Especially those branches of this large family should be learned, that are threatened with extinction. (^_~)